Friday 19 September 2003

i think i scare them away



This weekend's highlights --

(1) Scuba diving for the international coastal clean-up. Yup, treasure hunting for trash. But we didn't find anything funky, unlike last year's refrigerator... and someone even found a whole chicken!

(2) When we went night diving I turned my divelight off and saw the natural lights emanating from the sea anemone, small fish, and from my own movements -- the sea has its own nightlights! It literally twinkles! (Scientific explanation: bioluminescence.)

(3) Saw a seasnake (one of the most poisonous in the world) and was dumb enough to hold it. I'm lucky it was full. I never knew I had unconscious suicidal tendencies. And that's not even funny.

(4) Reading this poem and sharing it with the world ---

Tonight, a first movement, a pulse,
As if the rain in bogland gathered head
To slip and flood: a bog-burst,
A gash breaking open the ferny bed.
Your back is a firm line of eastern coast
And arms and legs are thrown
Beyond your gradual hills. I caress
The heaving province where our past has grown.
I am the tall kingdom over your shoulder
That you would neither cajole nor ignore.
Conquest is a lie. I grow older
Conceding your half-independent shore
Within whose borders now my legacy
Culminates inexorably.
~ Act of Union, Seamus Heaney

Beautiful. I find myself falling in love with Heaney. I denied his greatness for a while, but found him again.

... "I caress the heaving province where our past has grown."

Yup, I sent that line to about ten friends. Some of them new ones. They must have thought I was hitting on them. But it's just too beautiful to keep to myself.

Oh well, I'd like to hope that the good ones always stay.

No comments:

Post a Comment